Thursday, March 29, 2007

Caught In A Web The Spider Left Behind


I gave her my heart, take it she (w)could not.
Wondering if I hadn’t, what fate may have brought.
Circumstance cut us down.
Thoughts of her I try to drown
Out my mind as has often been the case,
My own reflection I avoid to try and save face.
The world I would have given,
Cruel reality, my world has taken.
Reminded each day of what once was,
Fond memories mask some of our hidden flaws.
Move on I try yet still she remains,
I hated and hardened with contempt and disdain.
For why had I fallen with nothing to hold?
My hands searched deep finding only fool’s gold.
The anger, a façade lasting but a few days,
Set forth on a new path to find a better way.
So let go of her I did with nary another sight,
Looking from afar as her wings took flight.
It stops me dead to know I may not have mattered
Dwell on it I won’t, lest my mind get tattered.
I am a better man through my time with her,
That feeling I’ll know again in the future.
Though further away with each new smile I meet,
Every time I see her name my heart still skips a beat.

6 comments:

Indiana James said...

I'd been meaning to write something about my ex for a long time now and it leapt forth tonight and took off. The way things started out it should have been a very nice story, but truth be told, I didn't really stand a chance from the get go. There were the matters of an ex (who I hate) graduation, job uncertainty, travel plans. Problem is, you can't help who you fall for and she's the one I went head long after. The shitty thing is, it would have ended with any guy she was seeing, it just sucked that he was me. In the end the split was as amicable as it was sudden. Just as things were picking up she decided she couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't fight it and as S'Mat said, the shock of the suddenness was akin to a death. It sent me reeling. I did the right thing and the hard thing and I just let her go. I haven't seen her since and now she is in Australia. In case you're wondering about the MSN pic, her name popped up on my screen earlier tonight and you know the rest of the story.

Eve said...

Aw.

Well, at least you know you can love, and the other person's feelings don't matter, so long as you know you were honest and true. Also, it was undeniably a growing and learning experience (which I've gleaned from what you've written), which makes it worthwhile, don't you think?

Fuck that, love stinks.

Indiana James said...

Eve you totally just brought me back to the Wedding Singer!!!

Airam said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

This was so beautiful ... and I think we've all been there. I know I have.

That saying "time heals all wounds" is true ... it also doesn't hurt if you meet a cute girl though.

Princess Pointful said...

It is so hard to know that you are just the victim of circumstance.
It makes you feel that much more powerless when it was nothing to do with you.

S'Mat said...

holy catharsis buttman! i'm so glad you found the medium for these feelings, not only a poem but a story, and one that's gracefully told. well done sir!